Society Training Weekend 2017
Bishops Wood Field Centre
14-17th April 2017
From Kidderminister (M5, A38, A449 southbound)
On the M5 heading southbound coming off at junction 5, taking the third exit on the round about to get onto the A38. at the first roundabout take the third exit onto Kidderminster Road going straight over the next roundabout sticking too Kidderminster Road. At the second left turn to follow Doverdale Lane. Once you have come to a sign turning right onto the A449 take it until you get to the Mitre Oak pub on your left. Take the first exit on the roundabout onto Bishops Wood Lane, finally taking the first left on you will arrive at Bishops Wood Field Centre.
From Worcester (M5, A449 northbound)
On the M5 heading northbound, take Junction 6 to Worcester/ Kidderminster taking the second exit heading for the A449 northbound, continuing for 9 miles. At the roundabout with the Mitre Oak pub take the first exit onto Stourport Road. Take the first left onto Bishops Wood Lane, finally taking the first left on you will arrive at Bishops Wood Field Centre.
According to Google maps, the site has a large Blue & White sign, headlined National Grid and the lane apparently narrows further on, so turning a trailer may be difficult if you miss it.
Camping from 12 noon Friday Until Tuesday 9am.
All the usual opportunities for training and assessment. Timetable and further details of activities to follow. The centre has a replica Anglo Saxon hall on the site which we will have use of as well as modern teaching rooms in the centres building and woodland and meadows. Plenty of outdoor camping space. There is some limited indoor camping, more details in early February. Nearest town is Stourport on Severn. Dogs welcome but usual rules apply.
Downloadable version for printing here (Click, then click on 'Printable version' in left hand menu)
The timetable is still in development, so expect more to be added as we get nearer the time
(this should be set for everyone to view - let admin[at]vikingsonline.org.uk know if you have problems)
Training - Saturday, Sunday & Monday
- 9-10 Meetings & kit checks
- 10-11:15 Morning session 1
- 11:30-1pm Morning session 2
- 2-3:15 Afternoon session 1
- 3:30-4:30 Afternoon session 2
- Combat - mainly on Training Field
- LHE - Main building
- Kit checks - Anglo Saxon Hall
- Acting - Anglo Saxon Hall
- Junior activities - Main Hall
- 5-6pm Chris Wakefield (archaeologist) - the Must Farm Bronze Age settlement
- 6-6.45pm Freya Harrison Learning from the Leeches: Anglo-Saxon Antibiotics.
- 7pm Althing
Car parking - We have hired the entire site for the weekend. The main car parks for member staying the weekend is on the left as you enter and is signed as Overflow car park. The track through the site is narrow. After unloading please put your car on one of the car parks by the entrance.
Fires - All fire should be raised except in the designated firepit area. Wood is available from a pile on the main field area. Usual rules regarding fire safety apply as they would at a show. Please do not gather wood from the woodland as the area is also managed for wildlife and nature conservancy.
Water Points - There are lots of drinking water points around the camping lawn in the centre of Greenvale. They are clearly marked and are all mains drinking water.
Electrical points - there are also electrical points around the camping area.
Waste Disposal - Do not leave litter place all rubbish into black plastic bags provided, tie them and place in the trailer provided or remove from the site. There are separate bins for glass and any form of scrap metal (tin cans, CLEAN food tins, bent tent pegs, etc), and it would be appreciated if your group could separate these items from their general rubbish.
Services - closest services are available in Stourport on Severn. There is a Tesco store, petrol stations and many restaurants and pubs. The closest pub is the Mitre Oak in Crossways Green. There will be a catering van which will be onsite from Friday lunchtime providing breakfasts (from approx 8.00am) lunches and early evening meals till abut 7pm and hot drinks and food all day.
Indoor Camping - There is a limited amount of indoor camping in the ecodome. Book this with Kendall Kinrade this will be done on a first come, first served basis. You will need to provide your own bedding. There are services in the ecodome and a wood burning stove for heating. The ecodome is beside the main camping field close to the main buildings. After unloading, move cars to the car parks.
Toilets - The toilets on the main field for campers are portaloos. There are also toilets and wash facilities in the smaller of the main buildings site. Please leave these as you found them.
Caravans- hard standing is on the main buildings car park.
Food - This is the provisional menu for the training weekend, as supplied by the burger van.
- Bacon roll-£2.50
- Sausage roll-£3.00
- Egg and sausage-£3.00
- Egg and bacon-£3.00
- Double egg-£2.00
- Egg,bacon &sausage-£4.00
- Pancakes with bacon-£4.00
- Plain with maple syrup and cream-£3.50
- Colonel burger- chicken, bacon and cheese burger with lettuce and tomato- £5.00
- The piggy nightmare- pulled pulled high on top of a bacon and cheese burger with lettuce and tomato-£5.00
- The Texan- bacon and cheese burger with lettuce and tomato-£4.00
- The naturalist- a plain burger with lettuce and tomato-£3.50
- Pulled pork- piled high with pulled pork in a bun-£4.00
- The Mexican- cheese burger with guacamole and jalapeños with lettuce and tomato-£4.00
- The Italian- cheese burger with pepperoni served on lettuce and tomato with a pesto topping-£4.00
- Lasagne and salad- homemade lasagne with a fresh crunchy side salad-£5.00
- Chicken curry- homemade chicken curry, with a coconut cream, made mild or hot-£5.00
- Vegetable curry- 5 different vegetable curry served in a warming coconut sauce made mild or hot-£4.00
- Chilli- homemade chilli, served with rice, sour cream and guacamole-£5.00
- Half a chicken and home made crispy potatoes-£6.00
- Vegetable tart with new potatoes and salad-£4.00
- Vegetarian Afghan carrot hot pot-£4.00
Dogs - are allowed on the site by permission of the site manager. They must be kept on leads and all mess cleared.
Training Sessions - for all members of The Vikings, these training sessions will be run under the supervision of RTT’(or equivalent). They will give closely structured opportunities to learn the skills required to safely and effectively take part in Viking Combat and Living History displays.
Battle training - for all warriors, they will be a chance to use the skills from the training sessions in a battle environment. These sessions will be under the supervision of RTT’s for trainees.
Trials - Test of individual skill with the specified weapons. The winners of each trial battle each other to be declared the Konungr Champion for the year.
Warband Competition - Herred and Lethang warbands of maximum 5 warriors battle each other. At least three members of the band must be from the same Herred or Lethang
Overall timings - Saturday, Sunday and to some extent Monday
- 9:00/9:30 - Officer meetings
- 10-11:15 Training session 1
- 11:15-11:30 break
- 11:13-1pm Training Session 2
- 1-2pm Lunch
- 2-3:15 Training Session 3
- 3:15-3:30 Break
- 3:30-4:30 Training Session 4
Bring & Buy
For anyone wanting to take part in the Bring & Buy sale on Saturday, 15th April: Rachel Ward and I will set up tables in the Main Hall after 3:00pm.
SELLERS: Please donate £10 or 10% of your sales - it's all for DARF! If you're going to be busy Saturday, you're welcome to leave items with us to sell BUT please price label your own stuff!
BUYERS: Bring cash (no cards!) and small change for smaller items