The minimum requirement for any member of the Society on a battlefield is a steel or hardened leather skull cap which may be concealed within an authentic hat. This must be safe for the wearer and their opponent, and must be well secured to prevent its loss during combat. Visible helmets must comply with the Society authenticity requirements.
There are four main types of helmet:
- Domed helmets, including the 'spectacle helmet' and the Coppergate helmet (restricted to the ninth and earlier tenth centuries);
- Conical helmets, including the common 'spangenhelm', which are found from the fourth to the twelfth centuries;
- ‘Chimney-pot’ helmets (restricted to Rus Vikings 990-1100 only);
- Concealed helmets (skull-caps etc under a hat or hood).
Later period helmets are covered separately.
|Chronology of helmets|
|Item||Earlier 9th C (c.793-850)||Later 9th C (c.850-900)||Earlier 10th C (c.900-970)||Later 10th C (970-1020)||Later 11th C (1050+)|
|‘Coppergate’ style / boar crested helmets||England only Rare – discouraged||Should not be used|
|Helmets with metal cheek-flaps||Uncommon||Rare - discouraged||Should not be used|
|High domed helmets||Acceptable||Uncommon||Should not be used|
|‘Spectacle’ domed helmet||Viking only - Acceptable||Viking only - Uncommon||Should not be used|
|Maille face ventails||Should not be used Characteristic of 7th century Vendel period||Full Rus kit only - Rare, discouraged|
|‘Chimney-pot helmets’||Should not be used||Full Rus kit only - Rare, discouraged|
Since helmets are mandatory safety equipment for combatants, they must conform to the Society's minimum standards for arms and armour. If there are questions over a helmet's construction, please contact the Society Armourer.
- Please note that helmets made out of leather are actively discouraged. A spangenhelm with panels made from thick leather may be acceptable, but if you are considering a skull-cap made entirely made from leather, we would suggest you opt for a concealed helmet under a hat or hood instead.
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Later helmets (8 P)